Engineering Management Resources
This is a list of Engineering Management resources. Although most of these resources are in english some of them are in Spanish.
These are resources I’ve used myself in my journey as an engineering manager. This page will receive constant updates.
If you want to contribute to this list, please fork this project in Github and send a PR. I will review your contribution in a timely manner and merge it to the main branch.
Engineering Management Topics
- Engineering Ladders: A framework for Engineering Managers.
- Khan Academy: Khan Academy Career Development.
- Levels.fyi: A comparison tool for different companies (Google, Facebook, …)
- Engineering Levels at Patreon: A great example on how to design your team’s engineering ladder.
- Square’s Growth Framework for Engineers and Engineering Managers: A system for leveling up at Square.
- bmoeskau/engineering-ladders: A collection of engineering ladders for reference and inspiration.
- Netflix Culture Guideline
- Spotify Engineering Culture: Youtube playlist of videos explaining the Spotify Engineering Culture.
- How to build your company’s engineering brand
- The Developer Culture Test: What Defines Places Where Developers Thrive?
Mentorship and Onboarding
- College Student to SRE: Onboarding Your Entry Level Talent: LinkedIn talk at SRECon16
- Setting goals with your engineers that don’t completely suck: Article about goal setting with your direct reports.
General topics on management
Websites and blogs
- Increment: A print and digital magazine, published by Stripe, about how teams build and operate software systems at scale.
- Stripe Atlas: Scaling engineering organizations: Lessons learned from scaling Stripe’s engineering team.
- The Pragmatic Engineer: How I Do (Hopefully) Fair Performance Reviews for Software Developers
- 7 steps to building an engineering competency matrix: CircleCI’s steps to build an engineering competency matrix.
- Level Up: Level Up delivers a curated newsletter for leaders in tech. Ideal for busy people such as Tech Leads, Engineering Managers, VPs of Engineering, CTOs and more
This is a list of books I’ve read (or partially read) and that gave me great insights on software engineering management and technology organizations.
- The Manager’s Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change by Camille Fournier.
- Accelerate: The Science of Lean Software and DevOps: Building and Scaling High Performing Technology Organizations by Nicole Forsgren, Jez Humble and Gene Kim
- Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity by Kim Scott
- Debugging Teams: Better Productivity through Collaboration by Brian Fitzpatric and Ben Collins-Sussman.
- The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering, Anniversary Edition a classic by Frederick Brooks.
- How Google Works by Eric Schmidt & Jonathan Rosenberg, with Alan Eagle.
- An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management by Will Larson.
Engineering Manager with Juan Pablo Buriticá: Platzi course in spanish.